Monday, May 21, 2007

Injuries...

Well, I made it through my first multi sport race of the year. It hurt. The lack of speed work in the Ironman prep really showed as my legs burned throughout the entire race. It did feel good to try and go fast.

So the race went pretty well for me. I got to meet the Tri-Dummy in person, and chat with some other local bloggers, such as Tac Boy, TriMama, and Iron Jenny. Afterwards, however, pretty much sucked. I had just pulled on some pants and a jacket when I saw my son hoping around on a pogo stick. Next thing I knew I was standing over him and he was on his knees screaming and there was a large pool of blood under him. Great! So, we cleaned him up a little and headed off to the weekend clinic. What a mess. Luckily it was a nice clean cut so the doc could use Dermabond instead of stitches. It will still leave a pretty nice scar but it is better than stitches.

I guess if you have to pick a place to get hurt, a race is a good one. We instantly had athletes, volunteers, and the Gear West owner, Kevin O'Conner helping us out. It was really cool to have that many people jump to the rescue. Kevin even took care of my bike for me so that we could head to the doc and didn't have to worry about loading everything into the car with us. Later in the day Kevin even called my home phone to check up on us to make sure things were OK.

After all the help we got at the race I am proud to call Gear West "my shop". They are truely a class act operation.

So, here are some images of the pogo stick accident post glueing.





Now he will have some battle scars to tell stories about. Chicks dig scars right? Even if it's from a pogo stick?

6 comments:

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

I had heard about the kid and the pogo stick, but I didn't know it was you. Poor little guy.
Yeah, GW is "our shop". No doubt. Glad they were able to take care of you that well adn that fast.
Jenny

Iron Girl Nyhus said...

OUCH... I remember when I had a pogo stick... those were so fun!

Steve Stenzel said...

Yes, even if it's from a pogo stick. Chicks dig em.

But in the re-telling of the story, replace "falling" with "fighting," and replace "pogo stick" with "three dozen well-muscled jerks."

Taconite Boy said...

oww

Clot Buster said...

What did you do over the Memorial Day weekend?
I hope that you got to enjoy it whatever you did. I am still recoverring from my races last weekend. Not back in business yet...slowly coming around however.
Best of Luck!

Tri-Dummy said...

Brother:
Sorry its taken so long to post...been busy.

It was great to meet you at the race and I HAD NO IDEA about your son! POOR GUY!