Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Where the Buffalo Roam

Ok, so they don't actually roam, they are fenced in. But, we saw buffalo. We have just returned from a camping and climbing trip to Blue Mounds State Park and it was great. The weather could have cooperated a little better, but we made it through. We had to sit out some climbing due to on and off rain, but that gave us some time to explore the rest of the park. The climbing we did get in was really fun. The rock down there is very different from the rock I have climbed in the rest of MN. It is very smooth with very little friction, and the cracks offer little help to those people, myself included, that can not crack climb very well. All in all, the climbing was good, and I even made it up 5.10a route that had an evil hand crack crux at the end. After finally getting on the rock for the first time this summer I am now itching to get out more. Hopefully I will be able to get in a few good days later this fall.

Now the ride home was another story. Have you ever tried riding home in a car for four hours with two large dogs that have been playing in the mud, grass, weeds, and whatever else they got into. WOW. We had to roll with the windows down the entire ride home. The dogs were ripe. My wife will have some serious work to do to get that smell out of her car.

So, now it is back to the daily grind of work. I am going to try and start my 5k training this week in hopes of running some good times later this fall. It will be nice to have shorter workouts, but the plan I am looking at has a silly amount of speed work with it. Looks like I will be spending some quality time on the track this fall.

No comments: