Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Insult to Injury

So, I start out by ripping up my feet at Timberman. OK, live and learn right? Apparently I didn't learn. Yesterday I went to the beach to do my swim workout. I had to park a loooong ways away, and after changing I realized that I had forgotten my sandles. So, what does the genius do? I can barefoot this no problem. Yep, good idea boss! Walked to the beach no problem. As I started swimming my feet really started to hurt as I was kicking. I thought that is was just due to all the healing blisters and cuts on the sides of my feet. It was driving me nuts, and I just couldn't take it anymore, so I cut the swim short. Meanwhile, my wife had shown up to watch, so I had her give me a ride back to my car. The pain was getting worse. I felt like I had shards of glass stuck in my heels. Finally, I got home and washed my feet to inspect the damage. Two large blisters, one on the bottom of each heel. What the $%&*!!! The path did not feel hot, it was cloudy and the temp was pretty mild.

Lesson.

Feet are not very sensitive to feeling the presence of heat. But, they are very sensitive to the effects caused by the presence of heat. Live and learn, right?

So, I can only hope that these will heal quickly and not have an impact on my training. These next two weeks are the finishing touches on the volume and intensity training before I begin a taper for the Steelhead. I guess the only thing to be learned from this is to take care of your feet. Whether you have a foot fetish or not, you can't do much training if you can't walk on your feet.

ZURICH, ZURICH, ZURICH!!!

5 comments:

:) said...

Sounds really painful! OUCH!!!

Barb said...

Hope those feet heal up quickly!

Since you liked the video 140.6, thought I should pass this one on to you, just in case you hadn't seen it!

www.boss.streamos.com/wmedia/ironman/317media/shawn/history.wmv

Barb said...

Oops, expired link. This one should work!

http://tinyurl.com/p3nkz

TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

Jeeze! I'm cringing just reading your post. Let's hope for a speedy recovery.

Stay tuned...

Anonymous said...

Hi Honey!

Okay so I am finally getting around to commenting on your blog site. Sorry it took so long. I am so proud of you and all you BIG accomplishments! Sometimes I think you are a glutten for pain, but in the end it always seems to be worth it. However, I do have to laugh when you do things like burn your feet, tear your wetsuit, forget gels, etc. Thank you for getting me into the world of tri's it has definately been fun. I am sure I will do more in the future too!

Love you!
Your wonderful wife:)