Friday, July 07, 2006

Timberman

So, this weekend is the Timeberman Triathlon in Grand Rapids, MN. The picture is from last year when I did the sprint there. I was really suffering at that point, very hot and very hilly. This year I am taking on the Olympic distance for the first time. If I make it out of the water I should be in good shape to finish. The swim does concern me a little. I am considerably far behind on my swim training in preparation for the Steelhead 70.3 in August. I feel pretty confident on the bike, and the run will come together before then, but I may have to learn the elementry back stroke to survive the swim. Good news is, wetsuits are allowed, so I can always use the controlled float method to get through the swim. It could be a really long mile if that takes place.

Training actually worked out pretty good leading up to this race. Last week was really long hours with some high intensity worked in. This week was a planned recovery week, so it is kind of like having a mini taper before Timeberman. After this weekend, I have two more high volume, high intesity weeks before I begin a two week taper for the 70.3. Yes, I am getting nervous. Yes, I am questioning my fitness. Yes, the swim does concern me a little. I just plan on showing up and letting it ride on the course. If I crash and burn along the way I will chalk it up as a great learning experience.

One step closer to Zurich!!!

2 comments:

Lance Notstrong said...

You're braver than I am!!! I want to be TOTALLY prepared. Maybe I should "just do it".

tri-mama said...

good stuff coming out of camp-good luck at Timberman-you'll be fine on the swim-just relax and keep the arms turning over.

ziggy zagy!