Monday, August 07, 2006

Steelhead 70.3 Race Report

So, it is finally done. I have completed my first half iron race and I feel pretty good about it.

Swim
The swim start was nuts. It was a jump off the pier start. I happened to big in the largest wave in the race, so you can imagine what it is like jumping off a pier with about 300 or so other racers. There were bodies flying everywhere, actually it was really cool, I loved the start. The swim went really well for me, being that the swim is for sure my weak point. It was all flying elbows and feet for the first half mile or so, or at least that is what I thought. I pulled my head up to sight, expecting to be about half way down the straight line course, linly to see the final buoy. Great, swim leg was done before I knew it. Coming out of the water was different. It was up hill in the sand, with stairs and about a quarter mile run to T1. Overall, the swim rocked.
Swim: 33:23 1:44/100
T1 3:57


After taking my time in T1 I was off on the bike. The bike course was great. It was a lot of small rolling hills, with only one real climb. I was hauling ass and it felt great, and my heart rate was right where I wanted it. The bike was fun, with a lot of high speed sections and rolling hills, with great shade. It's rare to have good shade on bike course. My only complaint with the bike course was the lack of draft marshalls. I saw so many people drafting it was sick. I kind of had a mental breakdown around mile 40-45 when I was passed by a Tour de France size peleton. There was about 30-40 riders, riding two to three wide and wheel to wheel. What the... Many of these riders were not even riding in their aero bars, they were sitting up talking to ach other and enjoing the draft. I was so pissed, the last 12 miles or so I just wanted to be off of my bike. Other than the lack of draft marshalls the bike course was great, it was the most enjoyable ride I have had in a race. Of course that only lasted until I was passed by the Tour!!!
Bike: 2:27:28 22.8MPH
T2: 1:38


After taking my time in T2 I was off. This seemed a little weird, this is the longest T2 time I have ever had, and the only time I have put on socks. I even took the time to wipe off the sand that was still on my feet from the run to T1. As usual, it took me about a mile or so to get my legs under me and get into my rythm. For the first four miles I was on my dersired pace, 8:00/mile and feeling tired but still pretty strong. I soon started to really feel the heat and humidity. I am not sure what the temp was while I was running, but I would guess that it was at least 87F with pretty high humidity. Did I mention that there is no shade on the run? At mile five things took a sharp turn towards the worse. My quads on both legs began cramping up with every stride. By mile six I was beginning to go into survival mode. I decided to start walking through the aid stations around mile seven to see if I could get anything back in my legs. It didn't really help, I could start back running on pace for about a quarter mile before I was full on hurting again. The final three miles were a very slow and painful mix of shuffle and walk shuffle and walk. I have never blown up like that on a run before. It was by far the most painful run I have ever had.
Run: 2:06:22 9:39/Mile
Total: 5:12:47


My original goal was to break 5:15, so I did that. But, I really felt that on the bike I had set my self up to go sub 5 hours, but that may have been a little fast for my legs. After the race, I sat down and tried to take off my shoes. Wow, now both of my legs, top to bottom went into one large cramp. I felt pretty bad that I could not even take off my own shoes without help.

Overall, I am happy with the race. I would have like to had a better run but that's OK. I have my first half Ironman in the books and I enjoyed it. Even though I walked during the race I feel like I gave it all I had on that day. Pics will be coming soon.

My mission was to race my way.

Mission Accomplished!!!

5 comments:

Chris said...

Hey! Great race! All that worrying was for nothing. That's an awesome time for your first attempt at that distance.

Hope you're recovering well. Take it easy over the next few days. You've certainly earned it! :)

:) said...

What a great race. Those are some great times, especially since you walked some. And you met your goals!!!

Get some rest... :)

kozzy said...

Great race! You're right, it was a really hot day. I hope that you got to see a little bit of St. Joseph before the race.
I was really inspired by all the athletes at Steelhead...my turn next year.
Excellent job in reaching your goal!!

tri-mama said...

Way to go Jessie! I was tracking you through part of the day, what a great time. That whole peloton thing would bug me as well-but you bore down and stuck with the race-that's tough and it will help you with you training for Zurich.

Ziggy Zaggy, Ziggy Zaggy!

Clot Buster said...

Bummer that you did not say anything when you passed me! I would have told you to keep going faster because I was right behind you...Great Race!!! CONGRATULATIONS! on the terrific times! There is no shame in walking on the half-marathon. Believe me I am an expert at it! I can't seem to get it together on the run. If I could only string together a sub 2 hour half marathon I would be the king of the world! But I am anyway... Do you know the time gaps between the first, second, and third waves of the swim? My watch time does not match my "official" results. Please don't get me started on the drafting... what a bunch of BS..! It puts a damper on the event for sure.