Tuesday, August 01, 2006

I really need some sleep!

I hate the taper before a big race. I feel like I have no energy, and I am always tired. But, I can't sleep. I haven't had a goods nights sleep in about a week. I feel like I am just more and more worn out each day. It does seem that the heat wave has broke a little, so I am hoping that will help some. All of my workouts during my taper have been cut a little short. I am being very cautious with the heat, I don't want to do any extra damage to myself this close to a race.

I just keep trying to remind myself that I have done the work. I have reviewed my training log and looked at the volume of work I have put in thus far. I also keep remiding myself that I am doing this because I want to. So I'm not sure why all of the stress is getting to me so badly. I have my last pool session tonight, so I am going to try and make it really relaxing and try to clear my head a little.

There has also been the added stress of trying to plan out the traveling to the with my mother. She has to have everything planned out to thevery last detail. This really stresses me out. What ever happened to just getting in the car and going?

Travel Plan:
Leave Thursday around 5:00 pm
Arrive at hotel late, sometime around 1:00 am

Friday:
Early morning swim in Lake Michigan.
Drive bike course.
Bike the run course
Packet pick up.
Course talks.
Check bike into transition area.

Saturday:
Up at 4:00.
Breakfast.
5:00 am, leave for race site.
5:30 am, final bike check and transiton area prep.
5:45 am, easy bike warm up followed by some easy running with strides.
6:30 am, be at swim start for warm up.
7:06 am, Boom!!!

3 comments:

Chris said...

Sorry to hear that you can't sleep. That's always a bummer because there really isn't anything when it's happening. :/ One thing that I've noticed is when I have trouble falling asleep at a normal time, it's usually because I had too much caffine or something at dinner. It just keeps me up and wired.

If I don't see you tomorrow at the group ride, have a great weekend and a great race!

kozzy said...

I hope that you can get some sleep and enjoy Steelhead this weekend. The lake is really nice right now. I swam at Jean Klock this morning and it was beautiful...just a little chop, but the temp is great at 74 degrees.
I will be in the transition area aid station all day helping out, stop by and say hello to a fellow blogger!
Safe trip and good racing!

TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

Have a good race. You're right, you've done the work and everything will fall into place.

Stay tuned...