Thursday, June 29, 2006

I think I'm getting The Fear.

I'm not sure what is going on. just when I think I have things fairly under control I totally lose it. Last night I was totally pumped to do a long hard ride with the Red and Black Army and follow it with a solid run. I felt terrible on the bike. The Fear started rolling in. Can I do a half iron in six weeks and survive? All these bad thoughts and images started flying through my head. As we rode along I found myself thinking "Can I hold this pace for 56 miles?". Doesn't fell like it. How am I going to do a full iron man next year? I'm scared!!!

I followed this confidence killing ride with an hour run. I went at an easy pace and just tried to focus on the job at hand. An hour of running gave me some time to try and sort through some of the fear and questions that have suddenly given my the smack down. I think I need to throw out my time goals for the half and just go and finish the thing and see what happens. I think the thing that scares me most is absolutley blowing up on the run and having to walk. I don't want to suffer through the run. Death march runs suck!

I need help with mental training. Not many people read this, so if you are here and have any words of wisdow that can help to ovecome The Fear, please pass them on to me.

1 comment:

Lance Notstrong said...

I think you have the right idea with "throw out the time goals". I've never done a 1/2 ironman or even a triathlon but if I ever decide to, I will treat it like my first 1/2 marathon and not set any goals......except to finish :-)